Customer Success Metso journeys towards a global e-invoicing vision
With multiple business units interacting with thousands of suppliers worldwide, Metso took the decision to centralize accounts payable functions and implement a flexible invoice automation solution capable of supporting its entire global operations.
Very early on Metso's senior management saw e-invoicing as the route to achieving world-class operational performance. The company wanted to work with a single partner that would help enable and evolve the vision on a global scale by listening and consulting, and by developing a deep understanding of the needs of a global corporation.
Basware's CloudScan has enabled Metso Brazil to fully adopt the group's centralized e-invoicing strategy as any sporadic amounts of paper invoices - sometimes even hand-written purchase invoices that the local suppliers submit when delivering the ordered goods to the production facilities - can now be processed electronically. Of the 200 000 invoices received annually, already 90 % are processed as e-invoices due to national regulations, but now also the remaining 10% is directed to the electronic process with Basware CloudScan.
”We have positive experiences in using Basware's CloudScan
and are considering to roll it out also in our facilities in Chile and Peru.”
Teemu Tietäväinen, System Specialist at Metso